Vince McMahon isn’t planning for a third XFL try

Source

There won’t be a third time for Vince McMahon and the XFL.

After his startup football league went belly-up for the second time in April, the owner and WWE CEO said in bankruptcy court filings he will not try to buy the XFL back.

McMahon responded to a claim filed by a committee of unsecured creditors following the April 13 filing for Chapter 11 — not long after he shut the league down over coronavirus concerns — that McMahon would use the legal process to repurchase the league on the cheap and avoid repaying its debts.

“Not only is that not good for my personal reputation, it’s also not true,” McMahon said in a deposition, footnoted in Tuesday’s filings. “And I’m … not trying to buy the XFL. I’m not going to be a bidder. And the other thing, too, is that . . . you’ve damaged the possibility of attracting some bidders because it looks like that, ‘Oh, okay, I see what Vince is going to do.’ … No one helped the bidding process by getting that out there.”

He did admit, however, that he had been making up his mind when he reserved the right to be a bidder amid the bankruptcy filing.

“I don’t know why that’s out there, making me out to be the bad guy, [that] I’m going to buy the XFL back for pennies on the dollar, basically,” he said. “That helped me move into the direction of, ‘I’m not going to be a bidder, not going to have anything to do with it.’ I do hope that someone will pay a lot of money for it, and I do hope that it will survive.”

vince mcmahon xfl bankruptcy
Getty Images

McMahon reportedly put $200 million in the rebooted league, which failed for the first time in 2001, with 80% through his management company and 20% through the WWE, according to the Athletic. He currently embroiled in a lawsuit from the league’s ex-commissioner Oliver Luck alleging breach of contract and wrongful termination.

The eight-team XFL played half of its 10-week regular-season schedule before COVID-19 forced it to cancel the season on March 20. It then suspended operations and laid off most if its employees on April 10.

Potential owners are expected to submit letters of intent by June 12, with final bids due the following month with a possible 2021 season starting in the spring. Brokerage firm Houlihan Lokey is handling the sale, and believes, “there is a robust market for the Debtor’s assets, including a number of potentially interested private equity firms and other financial sponsors.”

nypost.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related News

Giants house owners participate in digital group assembly on racial injustice

Source Soccer discuss took a again seat this week, as new head coach Joe Choose on Friday used his digital group assembly with the Giants...

Tony Romo’s new contract seems ridiculous after CBS layoffs

Source The Age of Motive, as Thomas Paine penned it, was within the late 1790s. As we speak, we're immersed within the Age of No...

John Elway ‘not going to remain on the sidelines’ in battle vs. racism

Source John Elway says he’s now not staying on the sidelines and is “becoming a member of with the gamers, coaches and our group in...

Trump says Drew Brees shouldn’t have backed off ‘NO KNEELING!’ stance

Source President Trump on Friday reentered the fray over NFL gamers protesting police brutality by kneeling throughout the Nationwide Anthem — knocking New Orleans Saints...

Giants nice Michael Strahan shares ideas on George Floyd’s demise

Source Former Giants nice Michael Strahan and Fox Sports activities soccer analyst took to social media and gave his ideas on the demise of George...